A well-functioning HVAC system is essential to have all year long. Not only will it keep you cool in the summer, but it guarantees you’ll be warm and cozy come winter. Not to mention, an optimally running HVAC system will decrease your utility bills and enhance your home’s indoor air quality.
To keep your HVAC system running stronger for longer, it’s essential to properly maintain it. This is especially important for older systems. Think of your HVAC like your car. You wouldn’t ignore routine tune-ups or maintenance services, would you?
In order to help you properly maintain your HVAC system, the HVAC repair specialists at Global Green Solutions have put together this comprehensive checklist.
Here’s everything you need to know to keep your HVAC working at its best all year long.
Why Do I Need an HVAC Maintenance Plan?
Having an annual HVAC maintenance plan in place is important for a number of reasons, including:
- Lowers your energy bills: A poorly maintained HVAC system can send your electric bills soaring. If it’s not running efficiently, it will take more energy to cool or heat your home.
- Fewer repair costs: Proper HVAC maintenance is crucial if you want to avoid the costly heating repair in Los Angeles or air conditioning repair costs. During a maintenance service, an HVAC technician can catch a potential problem before it becomes a bigger issue.
- Long-lasting equipment: It’s a fact: your HVAC system will last a whole lot longer if you regularly maintain it.
- Better indoor air quality: HVAC maintenance services will remove dust, pollen, and mold from the air. This is especially vital if a member of your family suffers from allergies or asthma.
Your Complete HVAC Preventive Maintenance Checklist
Now that you have a deeper understanding of why HVAC maintenance is so important, here’s your complete checklist to ensure your system works wonderfully for years to come.
Remember, you should be getting your system thoroughly inspected twice a year, both in the fall and in the spring before you switch over from using one system to another.
The Type of Maintenance You Need
The type of routine maintenance your HVAC system will need depends upon a couple of factors, such as:
- The age of your system
- The condition of your system
- The size of your system
- The brand of your HVAC system
- How much you use it
Most people in Los Angeles don’t use their heaters a lot of thanks to the mild winter weather. Thus, you should mainly focus on your A/C system during these maintenance appointments.
Spring Summer HVAC Maintenance Checklist
During the spring, well before the heat of summer sets in, it’s vital to perform the following maintenance checklist:
- Replace all of your filters.
- Thoroughly clean the evaporator condensers and coils.
- Completely clear out any clogs and deep clean the drain lines to ensure an efficient flow of air.
- Remove standing water from the drain pans to prevent overflows.
- Replace worn-out belts or pulleys.
- Inspect the HVAC system for dust, debris, pollen, and mold.
- Check the refrigerant charge for any leaks or damage.
- Ensure the controls and thermostats are correctly set.
- Change the batteries, if necessary.
- Closely inspect all connections.
- Check the electrical system.
- Ensure the fan motors are efficiently operating.
- Inspect the blade and blowers to maintain optimal airflow.
- Lubricate all moving parts.
- Check the cabinet for any potential leaks.
- Ensure the cabinet door is tightly closed.
- Remove all debris from around an outdoor unit.
During this spring inspection, an A/C maintenance professional will also closely examine your system to ensure there are no issues or damages.
Fall/Winter Maintenance Checklist
Despite Los Angeles having milder winters, it’s still important to have your HVAC system inspected and serviced. Your HVAC fall maintenance checklist includes:
Replacing the filters every 30 to 90 days.
- Closely inspect the ignition burner assembly.
- Carefully check all heating elements or the heat exchanger. If these are damaged, they can lead to dangerous carbon monoxide issues.
- Check the flue system to ensure it is attached securely to the furnace.
- Check for any gas leaks if you have a gas furnace. Also, check the gas pressure.
- Clear all drain pans and lines of any standing water to prevent overflows.
- Check all electrical components and wiring.
- Lubricate all moving parts.
- Ensure the thermostats and controls are set at the appropriate temperatures.
- Inspect the heat pump.
It’s important to keep in mind that the above items may differ depending on the unique needs of your HVAC system. To ensure your HVAC unit is properly maintained, it’s critical to call an experienced HVAC repair technician, such as the fully licensed, bonded, and insured team at Global Green Solutions.
Keep Your HVAC in Peak Condition
There are many DIY methods you can take to maintain your HVAC system. These include:
- Using good filters.
- Clearing all debris away from outdoor units.
- Checking the refrigerant lines every month.
- Keeping your unit level.
- Preventing clogs.
- Being aware of strange smells and sounds.
- Hiring an experienced HVAC repair team.
We’ll Keep Your HVAC in Great Condition
If you need HVAC repair or maintenance services, call the professionals at Global Green Solutions today! With over 10 years of experience, we are proud to provide top-notch HVAC services to the residents of Los Angeles County and beyond.
To learn how we can keep your HVAC system in great shape, call us today at (800) 371-1545 for your free quote!